Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Puppy won't walk, but dogs will

I took my dogs for a very long walk today. I tried to get Blaze the foster puppy to come, but she refused to walk. It's fear, but I have to deal with it and not give in. A fearful dog does not make a good pet.

I practically dragged her down the driveway and to the bench out front. She has a body harness because she won't walk on a leash. I don't want to pull on her neck. It killed my back lifting her and moving her foot by foot. She was one angry camper, but we made it down the driveway. It's part of her therapy. She must be able to walk on a leash if she is to be adopted.

After I rested, I turned around and she slowly almost followed me back home. I still had to lift her part of the way. I put her in the yard and locked the gate. My dogs wanted their walk. Poor Blaze started whimpering when she realized she was being left behind. I hope tomorrow is easier.

It was a nice long walk. We went to Spice's old owners home to visit. I really should bring her to visit seeing how I kinda stole her from him. It was a nice visit and it made both very happy.

On the way back home we cut through the park and met a huge friendly Doberman. The dogs were in heaven. They all got to know each other a bit then we continued home. Of course on the way home we had to deal with passing all the unsocialized dog in their yards barking and fence fighting. Grrr it's annoying. Chica knows to ignore it and doesn't even bat an eye at them, but Spice is still learning. I have to tell her to ignore it.

The good news on Spice is that she has learned to tolerate the Halti head harness. She is no longer trying to remove it and she is doing so much better on walks. When I got her, she had no idea how to heel. Spice is so much better now. She has stopped pulling on the lead altogether. Occasionally she will try to get in front of me, but it's nothing like when she first came to live with me. Such a good girl.

I know to many people it might seem like I'm being harsh and petty by not letting them walk in front seeing how they don't pull, but it is part of their training. In the dog world, the pack leader walks in front and the lower ranking dogs follow. I'm the pack leader.




No comments:

Post a Comment