Saturday, July 30, 2011

One kitten died

Last night was a very sad night. The smallest kitten died.

She started going downhill Thursday. She wasn't drinking her formula as lustily as she should have. That's always a bad sign. Friday morning she seemed a bit better, not much, but I hoped Thursday was just a one off. I should know better, but I always hope.

As I was holding her I realized how small she was. Poor kitty wasn't growing at the same rate as her siblings. Frequently when one cat in the litter was born nice and big but fails to grow it's a sign of some congenital problem.

By evening I knew it was only a matter of time. She completely refused her bottle. Her body temperature had dropped even though it's very warm in my house. Her breathing had also become shallow and labored. I've seen enough death to recognize when the when body is shutting down. I kept kitty as warm and comfortable as possible. She passed away a little after 3:00 in the morning and I buried her in my garden.

Such a short little life. I'm just glad she had a chance to know what love is. She's at Rainbow Bridge now. I didn't cry last night or when I buried her, but I'm crying now. I miss you sweet baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment