Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Dogs

In addition to the temporary animals at my house. I have permanent residents. Some I wanted others I got stuck with. Originally I wanted one dog and only one. Living alone I needed a dog for protection. I picked out a cute little thing from a whoops litter. Yafa's mom was a mutt with some GSD in her and her dad was the Cocker Spaniel next door who dug under the fence. Yafa was perfect for protection, but really wouldn't hurt a fly. Yafa lived 9 years and passed away from Cushings Syndrome. She had a good, but short life. I buried her in my yard and made her a headstone in ceramics class.

Backtrack a bit, About a year after adopting Yafa, along came Chica, the 3 legged tripawed. Actually 3 1/2 legs. The useless half leg was amputated when she was spayed. Chica was dumped at the absorption center (temporary housing for new immigrants) and found by a sweet kid. Chica was a cute puppy as all puppies are. Half Canaan Dog, half Saluki; common as dirt in these parts.

Being new to rescue, I thought she would find a home in a matter of week or two. Ha ha on me. No one wanted her as almost no one wants the perfect puppies. After about a year, I gave up and decided to keep her. It wouldn't be fair to have her move. Besides I loved her to bits. That was 10 years ago. Time flies. Chica is still a wonderful active dog.

I started thinking about a second dog after Yafa died, but was in no great hurry. I wanted a small dog but life doesn't always give us what we want. I got another big dog. Along came Spice.

Spice is a Dalmatian/ Lab mix. Her human, a friend and client of mine, has been in and out of the hospital and can't care for her anymore. He was so sick he didn't even think of calling me, his pet sitter. I have his key, so I just took her home with me. Yup, I stole her. I couldn't let her starve to death. That would be so wrong. Going in and taking her isn't exactly right, but she would have died. Legally I should have had the city pound take her, but I didn't want to subject her to those horrid conditions.

I told Spice's human that I was going to keep his dog, but he could come and visit any time he wanted. He objected at first, but I convinced him that she would receive better care at my place. She loves me, loves my dog, Chica, and loves my cats. Spice is happy here.

A few weeks after I adopted her, I saw a Chihuahua for adoption at an adoption fair. He was an adult and already neutered. Waaa I couldn't adopt the Chi as I have Spice. 2 dogs are enough. I know my limit.

2 comments:

  1. Arad L'Chai is the local non profit dog rescue run primarily by Marie, the French Lady.She puts in more hours than anyone could ever imagine is possible.

    ReplyDelete