Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Blaze, the foster

I still have Blaze. We have been going to adoption days and no one wants to adopt her. It's sad. She is such a sweet dog. Unfortunately people don't want adults or black dogs. She's only 6 months old, but to most people that's not a puppy. 6 months is a perfect age. She's housebroken. She has stopped her submissive urination. It took a lot of patience to ignore her peeing all over the place and build up her confidence and trust to be a house dog. We have been working on her trust of strangers. A nice young woman has been coming to walk her alone without my girls. Once the leash is on she is happy to go on her walk, but she still won't let anyone other than me catch her. This is a huge problem as far as being adoptable goes. If she isn't adopted this week, she will go to another foster home to get used to new people. I wish she could stay, but the week I originally agreed to has turned into 5 months. The new foster mom is always out and about with her animals and Blaze will have an opportunity to meet many new people. It will be good for her. Blaze is a pest to the kittens at times, but she loves them and won't hurt them. Blaze is constantly picking them up and taking them somewhere so she can lick them from head to toe without me hollering at her to leave them alone. Half the time she takes them outside. The problem is that they are wet from her spit and get covered in dirt from the garden. The adult cats or the big kittens have to give them another bath to get the dirt off. The little kittens are easy for Blaze to carry around, but she also wants to carry the 6 month old kittens around like babies too. They are a bit to big for that. One of these days she will get a swat on her nose for trying. That will teach her to show cats some respect. The last batch of kittens are weened and ready for homes. My job is done. They will be going to their next foster home this week. That's good because they are driving me nuts. They are active and jump on me all the rime. I can't get anything done. Yea I'm free until next spring. It's endless. Every year I get 3 or 4 litters to raise. I wish people would spay their cats. I know it's expensive, but it's a one time thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment